Thursday, December 5, 2013

Girl Power

I know I say it a lot on here but, WEIRD.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, and I'm still not sure. Its probably the mix of hard working city girl with devastating dominatrix and the lack continual story with the intercuts of sexual technique that left me kinda uneasy. It's a different story even without the very segmented and individual little scenarios that play out in such a short time.

I'm doing my senior thesis about a blowup doll. This is still pretty weird to me.

Although weird, I enjoyed the episodic like sequencing in each book. It felt almost like a a variety show. Here you have some story, here you have your how to's in feminine hygiene and male castration. I had a chuckle at the clever little paper doll gag near the beginning and I think its that attitude thats the most endearing. Taking a taboo and placing it in a medium where its more digestible.

As for being a comic for women by women, as a male, I can see where it happens. The contrast of the inner dialogue of making casual grocery and to do lists while running the dominatrix routine feels pretty there to me. It was also there for me when the character was just lazing about the house talking about Tom Petty, cookies and ice cream, being unconcerned with her appearance.

It was a fun one off read, I just wished there was a bit less mutilations of the genitles, That part of the story didn't sit well.

No comments:

Post a Comment