Thursday, November 28, 2013

MANGA


So I haven't really read manga ever. I've watched anime before an are somewhat familiar to the outlying genres. But this was my first foray into the actual medium ever. I chose to read Dororo by Osamu Tezuka and I loved it.

It follows a story simple enough for what a very raw manga reader like myself can follow. A power hungry man sells the pats of his unborn child to demons for power. Having no limbs or appendages they give him up. The child is found and raised by a sword smith who fashions the child limbs and such. They start having to fight off demons who want the rest of the child. The child then leaves to vanquish the demons to regain his parts, using sword arms. Thats pretty metal.

On the way he meets the titular Dororo, whom is also an outcast with a tortured past and despised by most of the nearby villages. They form somewhat of a brotherly bond and travel together.

Like I said, I enjoyed it. I'm not sure what specifically was the crutch of it, but the idea is just so strange in that a blind, deaf young man with swords for arms is traveling the countryside looking for demons to kill. Its pretty hardcore, but adding the Dororo character opens it up to be much more relatable. being relatable is often of fickle thing in what anime I've seen. It's always some grandiose quest or scheme with wacky characters that will sometimes slow down and do something regular or have juggle everyday life with protecting the earth. I think I prefer the more natural feeling Dororo character. He's just struggling to fend off human urges while under the scrutiny off those around him. He just also happens to have a friend with sword arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment